In 2020, there has been a rise in car theft and there are no signs of slowing down in 2021. In many communities across the U.S., police officers are encouraging residents to #lockitdown. A majority of these thefts could have been prevented with a little preparation before leaving a vehicle unattended.
Our top car theft prevention tips are:
- Security cameras. This is the simplest and most effective way to use technology to deter intruders. Installation is easy with professionals. Contact our parent company Per Mar Security Services about monitored surveillance cameras for your home.
- Always lock your vehicle when left unattended (even inside of your garage).
- Never leave your keys in the ignition. Do not leave or hide the keys or key fob in your vehicle. Bring your keys into the house and keep your house locked.
- Do not leave valuables inside your vehicle, especially in plain view. Electronic devices, cell phones, laptop computers, cameras, GPS devices, and sunglasses (to name a few) are small and easily concealable items that are often stolen along with the vehicle, if not an enticement to steal that vehicle.
- Never leave firearms inside your vehicle.
- Do not leave vehicle titles, identification items, or financial documents such as your driver’s license, social security card, checkbook, or credit cards inside your vehicle.
- Never leave your garage door opener in the vehicle when it’s parked outside your residence and don’t forget to lock your car’s doors.
- If you are going to warm or cool your vehicle before getting into it, consider investing in a remote start in order to keep the doors locked while running.
- Set up garage door notifications using home automation and know when it’s been accidentally left open via notifications to any web-enabled device.
These car thieves work day and night so you can never be too careful! Don’t forget the basics like keeping your lights on at night and the bushes trimmed down. Fewer places to hide means more exposure to onlookers such as your neighbors and your security cameras. Contact our parent company Per Mar Security Services for more information on how we can help keep you and your vehicle secure.